Arthur Louis Burnett, M.D.
||Room 407 Marburg Building
Novel Neurotransmission in the Pelvis
Efforts to improve erectile function recovery following radical prostatectomy are related to research activities that center on developing chemical compounds for application to nerves of the pelvis associated with erectile function at the time of surgery.? Recently, in collaboration with neuroscientists, we have focused on establishing a role for neuroimmunophilins, proteins that appear to reduce inflammation and protect nerves from injury.? Experimental? models in rats with cavernous nerve injury and erectile dysfunction similar to that found in men after radical prostatectomy have been used in which these proteins have afforded nerve protection and preservation of erectile function. Related to this research are interests in the neurophysiology and vascular physiology of penile erection.
- Burnett, A.L., Lowenstein, C.J., Bredt, D.S., Chang, T.S.K., and Snyder, S.H., Nitric oxide:? A physiologic mediator of penile erection.? Science, 257:401-403, 1992.
- Burnett, A.L., Calvin, D.C, Chamness, S.L., Liu, J. -X., Dawson, V.L., Dawson, T.M., and Snyder, S.H., Urinary bladder-urethral sphincteric dysfunction in mice with targeted disruption of neuronal nitric oxide synthase models idiopathic voiding disorders in humans.? Nature Med., 3:571-574, 1998.
- Burnett, A.L., Johns, D.G., Kreigsfeld, L.J., Klein S.L., Calvin, D.C., Demas, G.E., Schramm, L. P., Tonegawa, S., Nelson, R.J., Snyder, S.H., and Poss, K.D., Ejaculatory abnormalities in mice with targeted disruption of the gene for the carbon monoxide synthesizing enzyme heme oxygenase-2.? Nature Med., 84-87, 1998.
- Burnett AL. General use of animal models for investigation of the physiology of erection. Int J Impot Res., 13(3):135-9, 2001.
- Sezen SF, Hoke A, Burnett AL, Snyder SH. Immunophilin ligand FK506 is neuroprotective for penile innervation. Nat Med., 7(10):1073-4, 2001.
- Sezen SF, Blackshaw S, Steiner JP, Burnett AL. FK506 binding protein 12 is expressed in rat penile innervation and upregulated after cavernous nerve injury. Int J Impot Res 2002 Dec;14(6):506-12.
- Burnett AL. Nitric oxide regulation of penile erection: biology and therapeutic implications. J Androl 2002 Sep-Oct;23(5):S20-6.
- Hurt, K.J, Musicki, B., Palese, M.A., Crone, J.K., Becker, R.E., Moriarity, J.L., Snyder, S.H., Burnett, A.L.: “Akt-Dependent Phosphorylation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase Mediates Penile Erection.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99 (2002), 4061-6.
- Burnett, A.L., Becker, R.E.: “Immunophilin Ligands Promote Penile Neurogenesis and Erection Recovery after Cavernous Nerve Injury.” J. Urol.? 171 (2004), 495-500.