Ben Ho Park, M.D., Ph.D
Genetic approaches to breast cancer therapy
The goal of the Park Laboratory is to discover and develop novel means for treating breast cancer. The lab is developing techniques to identify genes involved with hormonal and chemotherapeutic drug resistance, as well as analyzing genetic effectors of breast carcinogenesis. Using powerful genetic technologies, genes involved with drug resistance and carcinogenesis are identified and validated and then novel therapeutics are developed against these newly identified targets.
- Bachman KE , Argani P, Samuels Y, Silliman N, Ptak J, Szabo S, Konishi H, Karakas B, Blair BG, Lin C, Peters BA, Velculescu VE and Park BH. The PIK3CA gene is mutated with high frequency in human breast cancers, Cancer Biology and Therapy 3:772-775, 2004.
- Abukhdeir AM, Blair BG, Brenner K, Karakas B, Konishi H, Lim J, Sahasranaman V, Huang Y, Keen J, Davidson N, Vitolo MI, Bachman KE, and Park BH. Physiologic Estrogen Receptor Alpha Signaling in Non-tumorigenic Human Mammary Epithelial Cells, Breast Cancer Res Treat, 99(1):23-33, Sept. 2006.
- Karakas B, Weeraratna A, Abukhdeir A, Blair BG, Konishi H, Arena S, Becker K, Wood W, Argani P, De Marzo AM, Bachman KE and Park BH. Interleukin-1 alpha mediates the growth proliferative effects of transforming growth factor-beta in p21 null MCF-10A human mammary epithelial cells, Oncogene, 25(40):5561-9, Sep 7, 2006.
- Sjoblom T, Jones S, Wood LD, Parsons DW, Lin J, Barber T, Mandelker D, Leary RJ, Ptak J, Silliman N, Szabo S, Buckhaults P, Farrell C, Meeh P, Markowitz SD, Willis J, Dawson D, Willson JK, Gazdar AF, Hartigan J, Wu L, Liu C, Parmigiani G, Park BH, Bachman KE, Papadopoulos N, Vogelstein B, Kinzler KW, Velculescu VE. The Consensus Coding Sequences of Human Breast and Colorectal Cancers, Science, Oct 13;314(5797):268-74, 2006.
- Konishi H, Karakas B, Abukhdeir AM, Lauring J, Gustin JP, Garay JP, Konishi Y, Gallmeier Y, Bachman KE, Park BH. Knock in of mutant K-ras in non-tumorigenic human epithelial cells as a new model for studying K-ras mediated transformation, Cancer Research, in press.