Drew M. Pardoll, M.D., Ph.D.
Our laboratory focuses on the regulation of antigen specific T cell responses and studies approaches to modify these responses for immunotherapy. We have a particular interest in cancer immunology and our studies on basic immunologic mechanisms have led to the development and design of a number of cancer vaccines, some of which are currently being tested clinically. Specifically, the interests of the laboratory fall into four areas:
Immunologic Tolerance – one of the important revelations in the area of cancer immunology is that the major mechanism by which tumors grow unchecked by the immune system in their ability to induce tolerance among mature T cells specific for tumor antigens.
Antigen Presentation—one of the cancer vaccine approaches that are being actively tested clinically is vaccination with tumor cells transduced with the GM-CSF gene.
Definition of Immunodominant and Immunorelevant Tumor Antigens – Ultimately we wish to define the biological and biochemical rules that determine which antigens are dominant targets for immune responses.
Dissection of Immunologic Effector Pathways – Our studies on GM-CSF gene modified tumor vaccines have led to the identification of novel effector pathways in tumor immunity.
- Pardoll DM. Tumor reactive T cells get a boost. Nat Biotechnol 2002 Dec;20(12):1207-8.
- Whartenby KA, Straley EE, Kim H, Racke F, Tanavde V, Gorski KS, Cheng L, Pardoll DM, Civin CI. Transduction of donor hematopoietic stem-progenitor cells with Fas ligand enhanced short-term engraftment in a murine model of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Blood 2002 Nov 1;100(9):3147-54.
- Pardoll DM. Spinning molecular immunology into successful immunotherapy. Nat Rev Immunol 2002 Apr;2(4):227-38.
- Tseng S-Y, Otsuji M, Gorski K, Huang X, Slansky� J, Pai S, Shalabi A, Shin T, Pardoll DM and Tsuchia : B7-DC, a new dendritic cell molecule with unique costimulatory properties for T calls. J. Exp. Med., 2001, 193(7): 839-45
- Slansky JE, Rattis, FM, Boyd LF, Fahmy T, Jaffee EM, Schneck JP, Margulies DH, Pardoll DM: Enhanced antigen-specific antitumor immunity with altered peptide ligands that stabilize the MHC-peptide-TCR complex. Immunity, 2000� 13:529-38.
- Lu Z, Yuan L, Zhou X, Sotomayor E, Levitsky HI, Pardoll DM: CD40-independent pathways of T cell help for priming of CD8(+) cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 2000 Feb 7;191(3):541-50.