Yoon-Young Jang, MD, PhD
||Oncology, Stem Cell Biology Laboratory
||552 CRB II
||Jang Lab Page
My laboratory has focused on understanding of stem cell fate changes. We have been interested in using both multipotent and pluripotent stem cells as research tools for studying microenvironment and pathogenesis of liver diseases including chronic liver diseases and carcinogenesis. We have generated a large panel of human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines from various sources (of both healthy- and disease- tissues) including primary hepatocytes, bone marrow stem cells, blood cells, keratinocytes, fibroblasts and tumor cells. In addition, we have successfully differentiated these iPSCs into early and late stage hepatic cells by a step wise hepatic specification protocol. We have shown the comprehensive functionality of these iPSC derived liver cells using both in vitro and in vivo assays. Recently , our iPSC generation and hepatic differentiation technologies have been successfully utilized in liver disease modelling, drug testing, and cell therapy.We are currently committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic approaches to liver disease prevention and treatment using this patient specific iPSC technology.
- Jang YY, Collector MI, Baylin SB, Diehl AM, Sharkis SJ. Hematopoietic stem cells convert into liver cells within days without fusion. Nature Cell Biology 2004; 6: 532-9.
- Jang YY (Corresponding author), Sharkis SJ. A low level of reactive oxygen species selects for primitive hematopoietic stem cells that may reside in the low-oxygenic niche. Blood. 2007; 110: 3056-3063 (Commented in Blood, 2007: 110: 2783-2784).
- Liu H, Ye Z, Kim Y, Sharkis S, Jang YY (Corresponding author). Generation of endoderm-derived human induced pluripotent stem cells from primary hepatocytes. Hepatology 2010, 51(5):1810-1819.
- Liu H, Kim Y, Sharkis S, Marchionni L and Jang YY (Corresponding author). In vivo Liver Regeneration Potential of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from Diverse Origins. Science Transl Med 2011; 3(82): 82ra39.
- Choi SM, Liu H, Chaudhari P, Kim Y, Cheng L, Feng J, Sharkis, S, Ye Z and Jang YY (Corresponding author). Reprogramming of EBV-immortalized B-lymphocyte cell lines into induced pluripotent stem cells. Blood, 2011; 118:(7): 1801-5.
- Choi SM, Kim Y, Liu H, Chaudhari P, Ye Z and Jang YY (Corresponding author). Liver Engraftment Potential of Hepatic Cells derived from Patient Specific Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell Cycle 2011; 10(15): 2423-7.